It is a hot summer morning and you’re about to go get your daily dose of Big Dick’s. But suddenly, you realize: your air conditioner is broken, and it will be another few hours until they can get it fixed. You can either resign and have a hot coffee while you sweat profusely -probably directly into your coffee mug, too- or you can make yourself a refreshing iced coffee.
Iced coffee has gotten very popular in the last five years or so. Though the image of coffee is that of a hot, steamy beverage, there’s no reason why iced coffee can’t be as good as other types of coffee- as long as you make it right, of course.
There’s always the risk of a watered down coffee, for example. So when it comes to iced coffee it’s good to do things to the letter instead of just winging it. So, here we have our very own Iced Big Dick’s- one for pour-over coffee makers and other for espresso machines.
Pour Over Iced Big Dicks:
- Hario V60 (...Chemex or similar devices work, too)
- White paper filters
- 200ml ice cubes
- 200ml almost boiling water
- 25 grams of ground Big Dick’s Original Blend or Thunderbolt
- A kettle
- A digital scale
- Heat up water in a kettle and use it to thoroughly rinse your paper filter and warm up the Hario V60 dripper.
- Choose a tall mug and place it on top of the digital scale.
- Place the dripper on top of the mug you’ll be using, put the filter in place, then add ground coffee and tare the scales so they show 0.
- In a kettle, heat up water to boiling and then let is rest a couple of minutes. Start pouring until you hit 40 g (ml) on the scale.
- Allow 30 seconds for it to bloom. Do not stir.
- Pour the remaining 110ml as slowly as you can. Make a spiraling motion and end at the center of the coffee bed.
- Immediately after finishing, add all ice cubes.
Quite easy, isn’t it? If you own any other sort of pour over, it will work much like with the Hario. With the Chemex, however, it’s a good idea to place ice cubes directly into the carafe before brewing- that way you are brewing a whole batch of iced coffee instead of icing each cup.
And now for a recipe that’s better for espresso machines
Espresso Iced Big Dick’s
- Espresso machine
- 21 grams of either Original Blend or Thunderbolt for extra kick
- A tall drinking glass
- Ice cubes as desired
- Condensed milk (optional)
- If your machine can accommodate for tall glasses, go ahead and place it below the spout. If not, simply brew into a cup and pour into tall glass.
- Brew coffee and then add ice cubes.
- Now, if you wish to make a Thai iced coffee -which is much sweeter but just as refreshing- you may now add condensed milk and stir. Some recipes call for pouring condensed milk before everything else, but the results are more or less the same after a good stir, so do it however you like best.
In conclusion: icing Big Dick’s is quite easy and makes for a great refreshing beverage. Oh, and it doesn’t take as much work as you would think- which is usually the biggest deterrent when thinking of brewing something beyond black coffee.
We will leave you with a couple of tips for taking your iced Big Dick’s to the next level:
Tips for Better Iced Coffee
#1: Be bold
The real trick to iced coffee is to make it very strong, bold- much more than you usually would. While this isn’t particularly true with espresso, as it is quite strong already, this is something you really have to think about when making iced coffee with your pour over.
Because you’ll be using ice cubes, it’s very important to compensate for this beforehand by making the actual coffee much stronger- this avoids loss of flavor when the ice melts down.
#2 Get ingenious
Since we’re talking about ice cubes, you just have to know the one most important tip for retaining the most flavor and aroma when it comes to iced coffee.
Instead of using regular ice cubes like a pleb, use ice cubes made from brewed coffee, instead. Simply brew a batch and freeze it the night before- this way you will get a thick, rich iced coffee like you could never get otherwise!
The one downside to this is that we don’t usually plan our iced coffees a day in advance, so it’s not something we remember to do regularly. But when you do- the difference in taste is vast.
You don’t need to use your usual coffee for this -though that would be ideal- and it’s okay to use instant coffee for making the ice cubes.